What is SIDeR?
Please note that the SIDeR programme is currently on hold due to COVID-19 pressures across all the participating health and social care organisations in Somerset. We will be going live as soon as possible so please continue to watch this space!
SIDeR stands for the Somerset Integrated Digital e-Record, a shared care record system, which gives an overview of your health and social care information in one digital record. This combined information is not stored anywhere and is read-only. Only an audit trail remains once the page has been closed.
An integrated care system is a fundamental part of the NHS Long Term Plan. GP practices, acute and community hospitals, community health, mental health, hospice and social care teams could all hold important information about your care but this is often not immediately available to people working in other parts of the local NHS and care community.
SIDeR ensures the right information is available to the right person, at the right time, enabling health and social care professionals in Somerset to see the most up-to-date information about you for your direct care.
SIDeR is the first time that health and social care organisations have all shared their records in Somerset. Health records are shared between organisations but this is often very time consuming for the health and care professional, firstly to find out who is involved with your care, secondly to get the data which is usually shared via telephone or secure email.
Information from across the NHS in Somerset plus Somerset County Council and St Margaret’s Hospice would be available 24 hours a day, reducing a large amount of time spent checking details from multiple sources and/or delaying the most appropriate treatment (e.g. for example, when a GP practice is not open at the time).
Better sharing of information between health and care professionals (for example, family doctors, hospitals, community and mental health teams as well as hospice and social care staff) can deliver significant benefits, including:
- Not having to keep repeating your medical or social care history
- They have access to the right information when they need it
- Reduce duplicate appointments and tests
- Receive the right treatment and care more quickly
- Reduce the need for unplanned hospital admissions.
Benefits for social care include:
- Help to improve hospital discharge planning
- Inform support and care in the community to help keep you independent
- Time saved searching for information and understanding the situation when you first contact social care.
Other benefits include:
- People not having to repeat the same information as often to different people when being seen for a health or care problem
- Time savings from trying to find out who is involved with you and your family, no need for a series of phone calls or delays in seeking additional information
- Ability to understand the timeline of interventions across services/organisations
- A way to share significant events/changes in your situation with other health and care professionals
- Better access to information to inform decision making, ensuring you receive exactly the right kind of care and support you need
- Better chance of preventing avoidable health problems.
Integrated care and the use of data
You can find out more about other ways patient information may be used in the NHS:
- Understanding Patient Data (which covers how and why patient information is used, the safeguards and how decisions are made)
- How the NHS and care services use your information (how your information may be used for purposes beyond your individual care and how to register your choice to opt-out).
Led by Somerset Clinical Commissioning Group with our software providers Black Pear the organisations involved are:
- All 65 GP practices in Somerset
- Devon Doctors 111 Out of Hours service
- Yeovil District Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Somerset NHS Foundation Trust
- Somerset County Council
- St Margaret’s Hospice
- Dorothy House Hospice.
Contact the team
You can get in touch with the team by email at email@example.com