Nutrition and Hydration
Nutrition is an important part of a patient’s overall health. In this section you will find resources that can be downloaded and links to useful websites.
General Practitioners are reminded that the Advisory Committee on Borderline Substances
recommends products on the basis that they may be regarded as drugs for the treatment of specified conditions.
Please note MHRA drug safety update: Polyethylene glycol (PEG) laxatives and starch-based thickeners: potential interactive effect when mixed, leading to an increased risk of aspiration
Infant Feeding including Cow’s Milk Protein Allergy (CMPA)
For information on Cow’s Milk Protein Allery (CMPA) and infant nutrition please see the Infant Feeding page.
Sip feed formulary
Food First Patient Resources
Handouts to support a food first approach can be found below and on Patient Webinars.
- British Dietetics Association – Malnutrition Factsheet
- Nourishing Drinks
- 100 Calorie Boosters
- Making Every Mouthful Count
- Hydration Boosters
- Keeping Healthy on a High Calorie Diet
- Basic Store Cupboard Ideas
- British Dietetic Association – Carer Information: eating and drinking at end of life
- Nourishing Recipes (Somerset Resource)
- Plant Based Nourishing Recipes (Somerset Resource)